Thursday, 6 December 2012

Thankful and Happy

When I woke up this morning at 7am I remained as still as a doormat. I braced myself then tentatively wiggled my left foot....nothing felt. My hand..nothing to note. No. Bloody hell, I couldn't believe it. I sat up and swivelled around with my feet on the floor. I stood up. Only a small ache. Fucking hell a miracle. I was so excited to tell Mrs K. I am going to buy a T-shirt with the words "I love Steroids" as it is a miracle drug! I felt so much joy. I have been off work for a while now virtually bed bound. I cannot describe how bad the pain has been in my hand, wrist, shoulder, ankle, foot, neck...etc.... I have been waking in the night and crying because of the pain and my inability to reach the painkillers without being in more pain. I have even struggled to wipe my own bum clean after using the toilet. I have been scared about my loss of independence. I saw a rheumatologist yesterday. yes I have inflammatory arthritis. yes I am starting a drug in 2 weeks - a low dose of a chemo drug - which I will have to take for years and am not allowed to drink. hey I will be a tee- totaller, But he gave me a jab yesterday of steroids It has taken away my pain. And I feel hopeful and lucky and happy... because + my pain has lessened so there is not reason why I can't continue to be pain free and get my life back + he does not think it is rheumatoid arthritis which would be a worse form of arthritis + I am lucky I haven't got anything more serious or debilitating. And I cant wait to get a back to work. work is important to mental well being. So hoorah to being pain free and independent.

7 comments:

Rosymosie said...

Glad it's working Kahless. Would hate to have you bed bound when I am UK bound and looking forward to catching up with you and Mrs. K.

63mago said...

Hello Kahless.
I am late as usual, but not too late to wish you and Mrs. K. a Merry Christmas!
I am sorry to hear that you fell ill and had to suffer serious payne, but it seems to be over and be taken care of - even when the price is to be teetotalling! Good to see you back on yer feet (literally)!

Random Reflections said...

Hi Kahless - Sorry for taking so long to drop by. I am pleased that things are getting better for you, and I hope you had a really great Christmas!

Take care xx

Lynx217 said...

was just thinking of you and how long it's been. I hope you're still feeling better.

Kahless said...

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately the effect of the steroid jab lasted one day before the pain came rushing back. I am on a drug combo now which means i am a lot better than i was. It also means that i have got back to work on a part time basis.
Things are tough but i am ploughing on.

Ethereal Highway said...

How are you now?

Kahless said...

I am not bad - 2013 is certainly turning into a roller coaster. I pop a multitude of drugs to keep my Rheumatoid arthritis under control - at last count I take at least 55 tablets a week, more if I am popping the pain killers. But I am dealing with it. As you know, I have lost both of my beloved doggies; Holly in May and Ben in July - which has left both Mrs K and I heartbroken. We have decided that we wont get anymore dogs until I retire. And then there's work. A few weeks ago I looked around and realised how unfulfilled I am in my current job, so I got myself another one. (well almost, I have a final interview on Tuesday but I am the preferred candidate.) So all being well, Mrs K and I are upping sticks and moving to London! We are going to swap a rural life for a city life and live in a shoebox in the heart of the city! Its all happening very quickly. My new job is a promotion and I will travel the world one week in four, mainly south America and Asia.

So we are so busy trying to sort everything out. I just need my health to stand up to it all, fingers crossed.
K. xxxx.